Texaco Country Showdown
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
WKIS –FM will be holding a Texaco Country Showdown local competition on 7/22/2011 at Round Up Country Nightclub. Up to 20 entrants from the total submissions received will be selected to perform. To enter for a chance to compete, fill out the information form and submit your song up to 4 minutes long. Submissions will begin 6/15/2012 and end 7/8/2012 at 11:59pm, Voting will begin 7/9/2012 and end 7/15/2011 at 11:59pm. The top 20 songs will move on to the local competition to be held at Round Up Country Night Club 9020 West State Road 84, Davie, FL 33324 on 7/22/2012 at 6pm. The 20 participants will be contacted via email on 8/12/2011.
1. Entry Procedure: To participate in the contest, fill out the contestant form then upload your audio file (up to 5 minutes long). Songs entered into the competition will be posted on wkis.com. No profanity can be used in any of the entries. Submission deadline is 7/8/2012 at 11:59pm.
To submit in person bring your song as an mp3 on a flash drive or a data disk to the KISS Country Studios 194 NW 187th St., Miami and complete an entry form (provided at the time of submission) by 5pm on 7/6/2011.
Station is not responsible for entries not received due to difficulty accessing the Internet, service outages or delays, computer difficulties or other technological glitches.
Contest participants using the Internet must provide a valid email address.
WKIS and sponsors not responsible for technical, hardware, software or telephone or other transmission failures of any kind; lost or unavailable network connections; or incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions whether caused by WKIS users, by any equipment or programming utilized in promotions, games or contests, or by human error which may occur in the processing of submissions, which may limit a participant’s ability to participate.
WKIS reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend a promotion, game or contest should a virus, bug, computer or other problem beyond the control of the station corrupt the administration, security or proper execution of game or contest. WKIS, in its sole discretion, may award prizes to entries received by alternate means. All Internet participants agree to be bound by these rules, and the Official General Rules appearing above.
To enter online, you must enter your first name and last name, complete address, city, state, zip code, home telephone number and a valid email address in the online entry form. One Internet entry per person and one Internet entry per email address. Internet entries will be deemed made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. The authorized account holder is the natural person who is assigned to the email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization that is responsible by assigning email addresses or the domain associated with the submitted email address.
WKIS, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the entry process, the operation of the WKIS website or who is otherwise in violation of the rules. The station further reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify the contest if it is not capable of completion as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention or technical failures of any sort.
How to Vote: On-Line: Visit [www.wkis.com] during the "Voting Period" and click Texaco Country Showdown graphic to connect to the voting page. After having read and agreed to the Official Rules, click the vote button to submit your on-line vote. Maximum of 5 on-line votes per person and per ISP address. Any on-line vote submitted with an invalid ISP address will be disqualified. Maximum 5 votes per ISP address. Any votes exceeding the allowed 5 from any 1 ISP address may result in all the votes being disqualified. Any illegible votes will be disqualified. In order to prevent fraud, KISS Country has the ultimate discretion on the participating contestants, Decisions of station management with respect to the contest are final.
The use of automatic voting program(s) and/or website(s) is prohibited and will result in nullifying all votes from these programs/websites or disqualification of contestant. Penalty will be the sole decision of the judge(s).
2. Registration Fee:
A onetime registration fee of $20.00 per act is required - U.S. currency only – once chosen to compete as a local finalist. The fee will be collected at the local competition at Round Up on 7/22/2012, Contestant must pay the registration fee and complete and entry form in order to participate.
WKIS-FM is authorized to resolve all disputes at the local contest. SPI is the sole authority in resolving all disputes at the state, regional and national level competitions and to disqualify any contestant at any level of the contest for failure to comply with the rules and regulations, including errors and omissions. SPI's decisions are final.
4. Performance: The following applies to any Showdown contest:
• Each act entered in the Showdown must perform only with the personnel listed on Section 1 and 2 of the Entry Form. No personnel changes or substitutions will be permitted once competition has begun. Once an individual withdraws from an act at any level of the Showdown, he/she cannot perform at the next level.
• Individuals may perform with only one act during any local Showdown.
• WKIS-FM may, at its discretion, provide a backup band for acts requiring instrumental support or allow contestants' pre-recorded music. No live "backup band" vocals are allowed.
• Neither the backup band nor any of its members is permitted to compete in the Showdown in which they are the backup band.
• Each act must perform live, vocally and/or instrumentally. No special lighting, props or special effects may be used.
• Any act with three or more individuals playing an instrument may not use the backup band or any part of the backup band, or prerecorded music.
• The amount of performance time given to each local Showdown contestant will be determined by the local radio station.
• All performances must be done in good taste: no music or lyrics that the radio station or SPI considers to be offensive may be performed.
• Age restrictions will be at the discretion of the radio station and/or its venue.
• Contestants may perform their own music and receive extra bonus points from the judge. Music eligible for bonus points will be defined as any piece of music written or co-written by the contestant (either individual or member of group). Any contestant (either individual or member of group) who claims to be using his own music may be disqualified at any level of the contest at the discretion of SPI, if a musical copyright for the music exists which does not name the contestant as author or co-author.
• Acceptable documentation to prove ownership of your music shall include either a certificate of copyright, proof of song registration with BMI, ASCAP, etc., or a notarized copy of the application applying for the copyright with a signed statement by the contestant as to its status.
• Performances will be awarded 0-10 points in each of the following categories: 1) Marketability in country music; 2) Vocal/instrumental ability; 3) Originality; 4) Stage presence/charisma: 5) Talent. An optional bonus of up to three points may be awarded for acts performing their own music.
• In the event of a tie, the first tiebreaker shall be the highest number of points given in the Talent category. The second tiebreaker shall be the highest number of points awarded in the Stage Presence/Charisma category. The third tiebreaker shall be by a secret vote of the judges based on overall performance style and impact.
5. Local Contest Prizes:
The only official prize offered at the local Showdown level is the opportunity for the winner to advance to the state Showdown competition. Local Showdown contestants must pay their own expenses during the competition at the local, state and regional levels. In signing this Entry Form, the Showdown contestant acknowledges that SPI is not responsible for any prizes promised or offered at the local Showdown contest level (except for the local Showdown winner's chance to compete in the state Showdown competition).
6. State, Regional and National Final:
• The winner of the local Showdown is eligible to compete in the State Showdown. Contestants may enter as many local competitions as they wish until winning. Local winners may reenter the contest at the local level only after being eliminated at a State or Regional Final. They must complete a new entry form and pay the entry fee when entering at another station. Each contestant will have seven minutes to perform at the state Showdown. No prerecorded music is permitted at State, Regional or National Final. The winner of each state Showdown will receive $1,000 and the opportunity to compete at one of the five regional Showdowns. Prizes won by minors will be awarded to a parent or legal guardian, if requested.
• There will be five regional Showdowns where State winners will compete for seven minutes to win an all expense paid trip to compete at the National Final. Contestants under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian who must execute releases of liability and publicity. National Final expenses paid by SPI are listed below. All other expenses not specified shall be the responsibility of the contestants. 1. Hotel accommodations (double occupancy). 2. Round-trip coach airfare on the airline designated by SPI from a continental USA airport closest to contestant's home served by that airline. 3. Reasonable meal expenses.
• The National Final will be held by January 31, 2013. The winner will receive $100,000. The winner, or winner's parent or legal guardian (if winner is a minor), must execute an affidavit of eligibility within 30 days of the National Final. Failure to comply may result in forfeiture of the prizes. Prizes are nontransferable. Winners shall be solely responsible for all taxes in connection with their prizes.
7. Promotional Authorization:
By submitting an Entry Form, the act (and each individual member thereof) grants to SPI and Texaco the right to utilize the act's (and each individual member's thereof) name, likeness, image, voice, appearance, and performance in perpetuity worldwide for advertising, trade or any other lawful promotional purposes whatsoever, in any and all media now known or thereafter developed, without compensation. I/we grant SPI the right to broadcast, market, sell and otherwise distribute my name, image, likeness, voice, appearance and performance, either in whole or in parts for commercial, non-commercial television, close-circuit exhibition, home video distribution, internet, or any other purpose SPI in their sole discretion may determine. I/we hereby give all clearance, copyright or otherwise, for the use of my name, likeness, image, voice, and appearance embodied in my/our performance/state presentation. If under 18 years of age, parent or guardian must sign the entry form.
8. Assumption of Risk:
By submitting this entry form, the act (and each individual member thereof) assumes all risks of property damage or bodily injury (including death) that might occur during the local, state, regional and national Showdown events. The act (and each individual member thereof) agrees not to bring against any national sponsor any claim for property damage or bodily injury (including death) that might occur during local, state, regional, or national Showdown events.
9. Good Character:
The act agrees that it may be disqualified immediately from any level of Showdown competition if the act (or any member thereof) commits any act or becomes involved in any situation that would adversely reflect on the Showdown or any party furnishing a prize, or tend to bring it into public disrepute.
Submit any questions regarding eligibility to SPI.
• I am/we are not an act with over seven individuals.
• I/we have not performed on a record listed in Billboard, Radio and Records, or the Gavin Report within eighteen months preceding local competition.
• I/we have (each) paid the $20.00 registration fee before performing live at the local Showdown.
• I am/we are not part of the backup band nor am I/are we related to any member of the backup band by birth or marriage nor have I/we performed with the local backup band or any member of the local backup band for monetary compensation within the past year.
• I am/we are not an owner, controlling stockholder or employee of and I am/we are not related by birth or marriage, nor do I/we live in the same household as the local Showdown judge, the radio station sponsoring the local Showdown contest, any national sponsor, SPI, or any employee, controlling stockholder, owner, officer or agent of any of the foregoing parties.
• I/we have not already been declared a local winner of a 2011 Country Showdown and eligible for State competition.
• I/we have never been a national winner, either as an individual or as part of a group of the 2009, 2010 or 2011 Country Showdown.
Contest is open to all WKIS listeners who are legal US residents and reside 250 miles from Miami.
Employees of WKIS, its licensee, its parent corporation, their affiliated entities, affiliated advertising agencies, participating sponsors/promotional partners, of their immediate families are ineligible to participate or win.
Listeners are eligible to win a WKIS contest only once every thirty (30) days and a prize valued at $600 or more, only once every six months. Only one winner per household is permitted in any contest.
a. WARNING: Online listeners to streamed broadcasts may experience a lag in transmissions.
b. Taxes and Liability: Payment of all federal, state and local taxes is the sole responsibility of the winner. Contest winnings will be reported to the Internal Revenue Service and winners can expect to receive a 1099 tax form for prizes which total more than $600 for the year.
c. By participating in the contest, contestant agrees to have his or her name, voice, or likeness used in any advertising or broadcasting material relating to this contest without additional financial or other compensation.
d. By participating in the contest, contestant hereby releases and agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Station, its licensee, affiliates, parents, assigns, successors, employees, sponsors, agents and all others connected with them and the contest from any and all liability, claims, actions and damages sustained or incurred by participation in the contest and the receipt and use of any prize awarded (if any) through such contest arising in any manner whatsoever.
e. Contest winners will be selected and notified of their prize in the manner announced by the Station. Contest winners (and their guests or travel companions, if any) may be required, in Station’s sole discretion, to sign a liability release and a publicity release. Pursuant to the liability release, the winners will agree to hold Station, its licensee, parents, affiliates, assigns, successors and the officers, shareholders, directors, employees, agents and representatives of each of them harmless against any and all claims or liability arising directly or indirectly from the prize or participation in the contest. Any person who refuses to sign the release will forfeit any and all prizes.
f. Station will be excused from its obligation to air the contest if its performance is delayed or prevented due to causes beyond its control, including, but not limited to acts of God, public enemies, war, civil disorder, fire, flood, hurricanes, explosion, labor disputes or strikes, and any acts by any governmental authority.
g. Station, its licensee, affiliates, parents, assigns and successors are not responsible for failure to conduct or for alterations to the contest due to circumstances beyond the control of any such entity.
h. Decisions of Station management with respect to the contest are final.
i. Station reserves the right to end a contest or amend these rules upon announcement on air or publication at Station’s website.
j. Station reserves the right to make changes to the rules of the contest, including the substitution of a prize or prizes of equivalent or greater value, which will become effective upon announcement.
k. Station is not responsible for any prizes or certificates lost or stolen after the winner has claimed them from the station.
l. Prizes are awarded ‘as is’ with no guarantees or warranties as to use. Acceptance of a prize releases Station, its sponsors and advertisers from all liability and claims concerning the prize, its delivery, and its use.
m. Station is not responsible for typographical or other errors in the printing, the offering or the administration of the contest or in the announcement of a prize. The Station is not responsible for (i) lost, stolen, mutilated, misdirected, postage due, illegible, incomplete or late entries; (ii) telephone or mobile service outages, delays, busy signals, facsimile transmission errors, equipment malfunctions and any other technological difficulties that may prevent an individual from completing his/her telephone call or from sending a text message (if applicable, message and data rates may apply, and the Station is not responsible for any fees incurred by an entrant for this method of entry); (iii) entries not received due to difficulty accessing the internet, service outage or delays, computer difficulties or other technical difficulties.
n. By participating in this contest, listeners agree to be bound by these rules. Failure to comply with the contest rules may result in a contestant’s disqualification, at the sole discretion of Station.
o. Contestants are required to provide truthful information and the Station will reject and delete any entry that it discovers to be false or fraudulent. The Station will disqualify any entry from individuals who do not meet the eligibility requirements, and the Station will also delete any online entry knowingly received from persons under the age of 13 in compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act.
p. Any materials submitted become the property of the station and will not be returned.
q. No purchase is necessary. The contest is void where prohibited. Contests and promotions are subject to all federal, state and local laws.
r. Copies of the written contest rules and a list of all winners are available during regular business hours at the main studio of Station at 194 NW 187th Street, Miami Fl 33169 or by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Station.